photo menu-home.png   photo menu-archives.png   photo menu-gallery.png   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

30 November 2013

Hope and Love locked in a Chest

After missing last month’s Storytelling Sunday, I simply could not miss December’s.  It would be the last of 2013’s Pick Your Precious series. and should be something special.

So I considered all the mementoes that I could talk about, I wondered if there was something that could some them all up.  Maybe like a chest that held them all?

Actually I have such a chest, well, in a way.  None of the things I have shared as a Precious are stored inside here, though.

DSC00542

This is the “hope chest” that I have had since I was 20, the first piece of furniture I ever owned.  I found it when looking for a bedroom suite for my first apartment, which I shared with my older sister.  A junior in college at the time, I was not practical enough to buy the larger necessary item first.  When you are twenty, your thoughts are filled with hopes and dreams, and you’re never tired enough to prioritize a bed over that! 

DSC00544

It is pretty simple -- classic, I’d like to think, in design.  Such a item should be timeless.

DSC00543DSC00545

The chest sits in our guest bedroom under the window, I keep a blanket on top to it to protect the finish from items I sometimes stack there.  I was not always so careful.  In my second apartment, living alone (sister had married and moved to Norfolk, Virginia), I damaged the top by setting a glass on top of it one night and discovered a nasty water ring the next morning. (I guess tiredness became a factor, after all).  There were also quite a few scratches.  It was not until 10 years ago that I finally had the top refinished, as good as new.

DSC00546

That was not the only maintenance the chest needed needs.  It should have the lock replaced.  The original lock won’t open the chest from the inside, a considerable safety risk to children – and one reason I always, always, always, have it locked with the key.  The Lane Company sent me a new lock free of charge, oh, about 10 years back. Silly me stuck the lock inside the chest so I wouldn’t forget where I put it, and silly me promptly forgot that little chore needed to be done.

DSC00548DSC00547

I still have the tag that shows it is a Lane “Love Chest”, and I bet you are dying to know what has come to rest under that quilt over all these years, under lock and key.  Well, I will tell you that it in no way resembles something shocking that might have taken place in “Arsenic and Old Lace”, for instance.

I will also tell you that because it is cedar lined, I don’t keep books inside (although my Mom did in hers). I will tell you that there is at least one more quilt in there.  That is all that I will tell you – today. Because today, the chest is the story, not the contents.

Trust me that there are some ‘love”ly things in there.  Little bits and bobs that I should at least chronicle in a journal, so that someday I “hope” a granddaughter might understand her sometimes silly grandmother a little better.

Thanks for dropping by today – you are invited over to Sian’s for more Sunday tales.

20 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed reading about your 'hope chest' today and I can imagine all of the treasures you have in there, safely tucked away - I am sure they will make for a wonderful journal one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Hope Chest! oh now I have chest envy! The quilts look pretty darned special too. I love your story, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful piece of furniture and yes, I love the look of the quilt too.

    Many many thanks for sharing yours stories over the years: your support for Storytelling Sunday has been much appreciated by me and your stories very much enjoyed by everyone. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful and timeless, I love it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks truly timeless....and a lovely place to store quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first thing we brought for our married life together was a chest! Yours is wonderful, i'll be looking out the post revealing what you keep in it! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your story. Can't wait to hear the story of the contents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a hope chest, it must hold some precious things1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do they even make "hope" chests anymore or is it a thing of the past? I always said the only thing in mine was "hope." Thanks for bringing back that memory!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful "HopeChest" story x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fitting end to STS. Let's HOPE we can hear the story of the beautiful hope chest's contents sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a lovely chest - I like that it has that extra shelf. Hope you manage to create that journal about the contents - and perhaps share some of those stories too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful chest! My Mama has one with the little shelf in it, too. We have my mother-in-law's hope chest but don't have a great place for it since I rearranged the front room to add a scrapbook album shelf! :( For now it's in the office, but we'll find a better spot soon I'm sure. Thanks for sharing your story today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that chest is beautiful! So much better than a boring old bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one of the most beautiful chests I've seen. I always wanted one as a young girl, but never acquired one. Yours is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom left me her hope chest,but it's been at my brother's house since her passing. Now that I'm getting ready to convert the boy's room into a guest room/art studio, I think I'll have to ask him for it!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mother had a Lane cedar chest too. I have fond memories of the rare occasions when the chest was opened--the scent from the cedar was as inviting as the prospect of seeing the treasures that were stored there. Thanks for the reminder...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a very beautiful Hope Chest and a lovely back story to go with it. Bottom Drawer is what we might have over here. Not very romantic is it?

    ReplyDelete