photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

16 April 2014

Spring Cleaning–Successfully Balanced

If you dropped by last Wednesday you might remember that my studio was pretty neat, with one little recent purchase on the island.  As it was already tidied up, I started spring cleaning in there, dusting nooks and crannies.

Before long, I decided to fix something that had been bugging me.

BEFORE:



The end wall with the window lacked symmetry. The reason was the wall phone connection, that I had to work around – placing two tall racks to the left of the window and two short racks on the right by the phone.  It was an annoyance – ever so slight but nagging.

About a month ago, I had to replace the phone.  I selected a cordless model that did not connect to the wall – yippee, I say.  (You may say – S, why in the world do you still have a home phone at all?  But that’s a discussion for another day.)  Anyway, I decided to address the visual balance.

AFTER:

symmetry

To the right side, I moved one tall rack and a short rack from the island.  I also installed a double wall shelf from downstairs, placing it approximately where the calendar was on the right (and hiding the hole from the plate hanger).  I was able to incorporate a few more baskets this way, and eliminate a few cups and dishes.

I had to hang the shelf myself, and find something suitable to hang downstairs where it had been removed.   (So hubby didn't see more holes.)  All this took more time that it should have.  Dog-gone-it if I didn’t have to put off spring cleaning other rooms for another day.

Doesn't it look so much better balanced – with equal weight on each side, but not absolute symmetry which tends to be boring.  Design principles employed – further spring cleaning delayed.  That’s a win-win!
 
Oh yes, and because it is Wednesday, I thought I’d join in on a little meme that many of my friends do called Zoom In Zoom Out.  It is hosted by the gracious Helena @ Helena’s Creative Maven, who is encouraging all of us to become better photographers along with her.

So let me ZOOM OUT:

symmetry out

And out a bit further:

symmetry medium

I could have zoomed in, but didn't want to risk capturing missed dust on camera (wink!).  Today I have been back on task to spring clean some other rooms, which I have not been judging on design principles as I do - 'cause I don't want this project to last to fall. Thanks for dropping by today!  I hope to be back soon with something crafty to show from all this order.

21 comments:

  1. I would love to have this studio!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely space to create - looks like there would be room for a friend too. Hoping to have that at the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it fun to "fix" something that's been bothering you! No spring cleaning here really, but I'll get to empty, clean, and re-organize everything in the kitchen cabinets next week when the painters come to give them a fresh coat! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a wonderful creating space! Needs to be messed up just a little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous creative space and love how the balanced display looks - it really does make a difference

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look so beautifully tidy and fresh. At the minute here, if I wanted to dust, i'd have to move all the piles of stuff around. Not good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah, spring cleaning which I am far too lazy to do! Well done for keeping it on your list. Now to get creating in your newly organised space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderfully organised space! I'm in the middle of what I thought was going to be a complete workroom overhaul but my room's so full I can't seem to change much at all. I won't give up hoping for something as elegant as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing what a difference a little symmetry makes - I love your craft room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful space in which to spend your time. It's amazing how you can suddenly get caught up in rearranging something isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a lovely area you have to spend time creating in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lucky lady you are! Your space is amazing! And you have the one thing that I would do anything for....A window!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a dream of a craft room! Super love it! I can't zoom out and I can't zoom in without seeing not only dust but who knows what else!!! My husband has learned to live with it! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's the cutest most organized crafting dream EVER! You lucky duck. I love your space. I dare you to mess it up big time and keep it that way for a few days? haha I'm super organized so I don't think I could even do that. :) Thanks for sharing your space.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have such a beautiful space! I love all the cabinets and drawers. Although I find if my "supplies" for mixed media aren't out in full view I forget what I have and don't use most of it. And you are a girl after my own heart with the slightly OCD tendencies for neatness and symmetry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your work area is beautiful...I would spend all my days in there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, I had no idea it was so big! Great ZIZO and perfect balancing ... Lovely, lovely space!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to say, this would probably get me a bit too. I am all for symmetry :)
    Beautiful room you have, love that you have that wonderful window to work by…but I am sure i have mentioned this many times before ;)

    ReplyDelete